To a remarkable degree, our economy runs on consumer debt. Buying on credit moves goods and makes cash registers ring. But for some people, the debt gets out of hand, and they quickly find themselves in serious financial trouble.
This is why we have bankruptcy laws — to keep the economy strong in Grayslake, Lake County, throughout Illinois and across the nation.
Who Really Files For Bankruptcy?
The overwhelming majority of people who file for bankruptcy are not lazy or immoral, as common bankruptcy myths suggest, but rather good people who have simply fallen on tough economic times.
Most of my clients fall into one of these groups:
- Unemployed: Income comes to a halt, but expenses keep coming.
- Uninsured: Medical bills mount quickly when you are unable to work and are uninsured or underinsured.
- Divorcing: Divorce makes life more expensive — and bankruptcy allows individuals to sidestep their ex’s debts.
- Maxed out: When income dips, you start paying for everything with credit cards. As soon as a payment is late, you are hit with higher interest rates and penalties.
These are the problems. At the Law Office of Paul R. Idlas, I provide solutions:
- Chapter 7 is called liquidation or straight bankruptcy. It truly lets you make a fresh start, discharging all your unsecured debts (credit card, medical bills, etc.).
Chapter 13 is called repayment bankruptcy because it allows you to write a debt repayment plan that is feasible. Some of the debt may be discharged.
- Foreclosure prevention, including short sales. I help people who are in foreclosure to keep it from happening.
As a bankruptcy lawyer with more than 30 years of experience, I know how to make bankruptcy law work for you.
Make The Right Decision Regarding Your Financial Future
Creditors have succeeded in making the idea of bankruptcy seem shameful and a sign of poor character. It’s a tactic designed to discourage people from seeking debt relief. But it’s not a helpful thing to say about people who are fighting for their lives.
The truth is: your decision to file for relief under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 will likely be the smartest financial decision you will ever make.
How To Contact Me
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.